General Windows Updates
For Windows 7 Users:
Windows Update helps keep your PC safer-and your software current-by retrieving Microsoft's latest security and feature updates.
- Easily find updates with the Action Center function.
- Action Center consolidates alerts from key Windows maintenance and security features, including Windows Error Reporting, Windows Defender, and User Account Control.
- To check for updates, just click the Action Center icon on the taskbar.
Windows XP lets you set Windows Update to automatically download the updates you need to keep your computer secure. Running Windows Update ensures that your PC has the latest security patches and changes to XP, and it gives you the opportunity to install optional drivers and software. This is as important to your machine as keeping your BIOS updated as you utilize the latest and greatest hardware and software on your computer.
In Windows XP, turn on and use Automatic Updates
- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
- Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the following options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended).
Windows Vista - We recommend that you use Windows Update to check for the updated hardware drivers.
- Click Start, type update in the Start Search box, and then click Windows Update in the Programs list.
- In the upper-left corner of the Windows Update window, click Check for updates. Click View available updates when you are presented with a summary of available updates.
- In the View available updates window, click to select the updates that you want to install, and then click Install.